Definitions of Vocabulary
Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes
Models and Naming of Organic Molecules
Mrs. Shumway's Website
Definitions (Ch. 22)
- Organic compound
- All carbon compuonds excluding carbon oxides, carbides, and carbonates.
- Any compound containing hydrogen and carbon.
- Hydrocarbons with only single bonds.
- Homologous series
- A series of compunds that differ from one antother by a repeating unit.
- Parent chain
- The longest continuous chain of carbon atoms or groups of carbon atoms.
- Substituent group
- Any side branch on a branched-chain alkane.
- Cyclic hydrocarbon
- Any hydrocarbon that forms a ring-shaped structure.
- A ring-shaped alkane.
- Saturated hydrocarbon
- A hydrocarbon with only single bonds.
- Unsaturated hydrocarbon
- A hydrocarbon with multiple bonds.
- A hydrocarbon with a double bond between at least two carbon atoms.
- A hydrocarbon with a triple bond between at least two carbon atoms.
- Two or more compounds that have the same molecular formula but dfferent
- Structural isomer
- An isomer whose atoms are bonded in different orders. These have different
physical and chemical properties
- An isomer where the atoms are bonded in the same order but in different
positions in space.
- Asymmetrical carbon
- A carbon atom that has four different atoms or groups of atoms attached
- A property of a compund to exist in both left (l-) and right (d-) forms. It
occurs whenever the compund contains an asymmetrical carbon.
- Optical isomer
- An isomer that has the same physical and chemical properties except in
reactions where chirality is important.